Sunday, August 31, 2014

Story-telling Through Flower Arranging / A TTL Workshop





A Story Told Through Wildflowers

My flower workshop at The Ecology Center exactly one week ago was incredibly fun and lifting! I am always so blown away by how well students can put flowers together, in their own voice, when given the chance! If you were there, thank you so kindly for being a part of this wonderful group of élèves! If you couldn't attend, then perhaps the next one. 

I always like to bake a little cake the night before class because I feel it's such a nice way to greet my students and start on a full belly. The class was based on a simple idea: telling a story/poem/haiku/thought through the manner which you arranged your flowers. Meaning, letting your arrangements speak for themselves! Seeing that our materials (lucky us - wildflowers picked from TEC's native gardens) had an expiration date, much like all of our lives, the stories didn't have to be perfect or linear or even needed to be understood by everyone. They were going to be present for a week at the most. They just needed to stem from an inner 'story' as opposed to a formulaic rule of how-to's, so that the student could connect with his/her floral creation. Hopefully this was freeing, leaving the student to channel some inner creative guidance.

I have to admit to you, I got goose bumps and my heart swelled when I heard everyone share what their arrangements meant. We set all the finished pieces along the breezy porch and one by one everyone spoke. Some were funny, some were bold while others told of heartache and  remembrance. A few represented food and a few others had bigger philosophies. All were incredibly heartfelt. So much so that I photographed all of them individually and will be releasing a little impromptu book of postcards with my student's floral creations + stories! A collection of stories as told through flowers, to send to someone you're thinking of through the mail! Much more on that - I am shooting to release this around the holidays and will have it on my website/shop too. 

Thank you again to everyone! I so thoroughly enjoyed everyone's story as told through their handpicked wildflowers. Bravo xx


 See more of the workshop H E R E.

2 comments:

  1. this is amazing!!!
    so so sad i missed it
    it looks so special and i love the idea so much!
    bravo lili!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh GF, I so wish that you could have attended - I know that your story would have been a great tale that I would have very much cherished! Next time for sure xx

      Delete